Python from Wise Guy's Viewpoint

Joachim Durchholz joachim.durchholz at web.de
Sat Oct 25 16:37:17 EDT 2003

prunesquallor at comcast.net wrote:
> My point is that type systems can reject valid programs.

And the point of the guys with FPL experience is that, given a good type
system [*], there are few if any practial programs that would be wrongly
rejected.

[*] With "good type system", I mean a type system that has both
parametric polymorphism (i.e. templates) and type inference (i.e. you
don't have to write down any types, they are automatically determined by
the compiler from usage).
Each of these facilities is mildly useful in a static-type context, but
when they are combined in, say, Hindley-Milner (HM) fashion, the effect
is awesome. Some of my awe came from the realization that the "how do
you typecheck this?" challenges can actually be typechecked (though the
technical details of the solutions were often wrong - nothing is perfect
in this world.)

Regards,
Jo