Webware vs. PHP - performance comparision!!!

kosh kosh at aesaeion.com
Mon Oct 6 11:23:23 EDT 2003

On Monday 06 October 2003 09:15, Ian Bicking wrote:

> There was also a problem in your code,
>
> if 0 < i < 100: ...
>
> This isn't proper Python, it's interpreted as (0 < i) < 100.  Since you
> are using wget with the mirror option, the stalling is probably in how
> wget interprets the pages -- does it mirror 100 pages (the loop size in
> PHP), or does it mirror until it decides there's an infinite depth of
> pages?

I thought it might be a problem when I tested a zope implementation of it
which I posted to this thread earlier but it actually worked just fine and it
worked far far faster then any of JZ's results. The output also looks correct
to me but the problem is so trivial that on more complex frameworks it just
measures the small overhead the framework has and blows it out of proportion
to a normal usage case.

It seems if this is really the kind of usage case you care about that you
should not be using php or python. You should be using tux(kernel webserver)
under linux with a hand coded asm solution to really show how fast this is
but then you would end up with wget being the cause of the slow downs. Now
admittedly I don't see why this would be very useful but somebody seems to
think that these kinds of trivial benchmarks apply to real world situations
since there sure are a lot of them around.