Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Thu Oct 9 16:58:02 EDT 2003

Paul Rubin wrote:

> Kenny Tilton <ktilton at nyc.rr.com> writes:
>
>>I think Python's problem is its success. Whenever something is
>>succesful, the first thing people want is more features. Hell, that is
>>how you know it is a success. The BDFL still talks about simplicity,
>>but that is history. GvR, IMHO, should chased wish-listers away with
>>"use Lisp" and kept his gem small and simple.
>

> That's silly.  Something being successful means people want to use it
> to get things done in the real world.  At that point they start
> needing the tools that other languages provide for dealing with the
> real world.  The real world is not a small and simple place, and small
> simple systems are not always enough to cope with it.  If GVR had kept
> his gem small and simple, it would have remained an academic toy, and
> I think he had wide-reaching ambitions than that.

I agree with everything you said except that last bit, and I only
disagree with that because of what I have heard from Pythonistas, so
maybe I missed something. I did not think Python (or GVR or both) had
aspirations of being a full-blown language vs just being a powerful
scripting language.

Do they ever plan to do a compiler for it?

--
http://tilton-technology.com
What?! You are a newbie and you haven't answered my: