Python from Wise Guy's Viewpoint

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.oz.au
Wed Oct 29 04:45:42 EST 2003

Pascal Costanza <costanza at web.de> writes:

>Can you show me an example of a program that does't make sense anymore
>when you strip off the static type information?

Here's a C++ example:

	x << y

Depending on the types of x and y, this might mean left shift, I/O,
or something entirely different.

Here's another C++ example:

	#include "foo.h"
	main() {
		auto Foo x;	// constructor has side-effects
	}

If you strip away the static type information here, i.e. change "auto Foo x;"
to just "auto x;", then there's no way to know which constructor to call!