Python from Wise Guy's Viewpoint

Marshall Spight mspight at dnai.com
Fri Oct 24 17:26:43 EDT 2003

"Kenny Tilton" <ktilton at nyc.rr.com> wrote in message news:Zn7mb.35483$pT1.33385 at twister.nyc.rr.com...

> Lights out for static typing.

That kind of statement reminds me a lot of the people
who were saying in 1985 that CISC computing was
dead.

Anyway, I've argued elsewhere with Uncle Bob about
the issues raised in the quoted blog, and one thing
that came out of those arguments was that much of
what he was talking about was true for C++ vs.
Python, but not true for C++ vs. Java. In particular,
it's not clear to me that what he's referring to is
anything besides just rapid turnaround in getting
from a file edit to a running program. Java and
Python are both good about that, with Python
probably having the edge, but C++ can take a
*long* time to compile.

I'll probably get flamed for that statement, eh?

Marshall