Python LaTeX codec?

Patrick TJ McPhee ptjm at interlog.com
Wed Oct 15 10:36:53 EDT 2003

In article <bmhu73$4a8e$1 at netnews.upenn.edu>,
netnews.upenn.edu <p.magwene at snet.net> wrote:
% David Eppstein wrote:
%
% >>
% >>Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
% >>(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.
% >
% >
% > I am using a Mac, so Windows not having these isn't a problem.
% >
% > But, Park's response doesn't really address my question at all.
% > For one thing, there was a reason I asked for this as Python code, which
% > is that I want to use this as a subroutine of a larger application, and
%
% That was essentially the point of the rest of my post -- the quoted unix
% tools weren't universal and that you had asked for Python code.  I used
% Windows as an example because that was the box I was sitting at when I
% read the post.
%
% Actually, I think many (all?) of those tools may be available by default
% if you're using OS X, but I'm too lazy to fire up my powerbook at the
% moment...

The tools are universal, or at least as universal as any other tools,
although most people with unix toolkits don't bother installing the
man command, but none of the man pages would help with the problem,
and only one of the tools (either sed or awk) would be helpful in
implementing a solution. It's certainly not a `for Heaven's sake'
question.

recode, on the other hand, will do exactly what the OP wants, and it's
table driven. If python has a class with similar functionality, I'd be
surprised if all the recode tables aren't available for it.

--

Patrick TJ McPhee
East York  Canada
ptjm at interlog.com