Book Recommendation

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Thu Oct 9 04:32:48 EDT 2003

Michael Geary wrote:
> Have you gone through the tutorial at www.python.org?
>
> http://www.python.org/doc/2.3.2/tut/tut.html
>
> When I started learning Python, I made the mistake of skipping the tutorial,
> figuring that I didn't want an introduction to programming (having been
> programming for over 30 years). I didn't realize that this tutorial was also
> very good for programmers with experience in other languages.

Actually, the reverse is true for me. I started with the online tutorial in
1999, but it was to difficult for me. For true starters, the learning curve
of the online tutorial is quite steep, especially if you don't have a lot
of general background knowledge about things like mathematics and abstract
thinking (I was 13 or 14). So I borrowed Learning Python (well, borrowed,
it's still here ;) and read it carefully, but getting OO under the nails
only happened quite recently: now, I can't imagine programming without it.

Gerrit.

--
230. If it kill the son of the owner the son of that builder shall be
put to death.