Need Psyco profiling help...

KefX keflimarcvsx at aol.comNOSPAM
Sun Oct 26 17:47:18 EST 2003

>Also note that if the Python code has no long loop, e.g. if it is only
>functions that are repeatedly called by C/C++ code (with the loop in
>C/C++), then Psyco won't help at all, it will probably even slow things
>down.  It can only accelerate functions that run for some time (I mean,
>doing at least 100 or 1000 iterations to fill some array should be ok,
>but if C/C++ calls your function 100 or 1000 times to fill the same
>array it is not).

Psyco does speed it up considerably. I don't have any profiling data to back it
up, but the latency I hear in my synthesized instrument is greatly reduced when
I use Psyco. Or to put it in a sillier fashion, if the sound my synth should
make is "PIIIING!", with Psyco it goes "PI-I-I-ING!", and without it, it goes
"PI...I...I...I...N...G..." (in other words, the difference is VERY audible.
:))

The reason I don't really want to profile without Psyco is that I'm worried
that the data may not be representative of the conditions with Psyco. However,
it's becoming increasingly apparent that I may have no other choice.

- Kef