Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Wed Oct 15 03:26:16 EDT 2003

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:

> Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> writes:
> > However, please _do_ tell me if you hear of anyone implementing Python
> > in Lisp[*].
> >
> > Having Python as a front-end to Lisp[*] (as it is now a front-end to
> > C, C++ and Java) would be very interesting indeed.
>
> That would not be simple to do, because of weird Python semantics.

Could you elaborate on how Python semantics are weird (any more weird
than, say, Common Lisp)? and on why making a Common Lisp
implementation of Python would be any less simple than making a C
or Java implementation of Python?

> But doing a Python dialect (a little bit different from CPython) would
> be worthwhile.

In what sense would it differ?  (I would not insist that it conform to
the Python/C API :-)

Would it differ from CPython any more than Jython differs from
CPython?