Microsoft Access read from linux python

francois lepoutre franck.lepoutre at caramail.com
Wed Oct 29 23:18:00 EST 2003

Hi David

> I've read a lot of things about mxODBC, iODBC and so on,
> but I'm still very confused, It looks like it is _not_
> possible.

> Ideas ? experiences ?

It is of course possible... There are typically two ways into it
as explained by Mark and Cameron.

The solution by mark is more unixian in kind. The one by cameron
using straight odbc is more win32-ish flavour in style.

With only limited background in system admin, I have been
quite happy with odbc and mxodbc  for a couple of months now.
On both win and linux boxes.

So I'd recommend that you use odbc as an insulation layer between
the MS connectivity stuff and your application. odbc is pretty stable now.

Installation is not as straightforward on linux as on win32 where it's
plain standard stuff but once set up, the stuff is clearly solid and
workable.

In the end you need a db middleware layer. The choice is yours.
Go straight into win32 com and build then your own insulation thing
using  xml-rpc or rely on odbc all along the line.

The choice will depend on your background and is, in the end, only
a matter of choice.

Francois