wxPython and macros (was: Why don't people like lisp?

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Mon Oct 27 18:07:50 EST 2003

Kenny Tilton wrote:

> Pascal Costanza wrote:
>
>> Brian Kelley wrote:

>>> could be solved with macros in a perhaps clean fashion.  Naturally,
>>> you don't *need* them, but they do reduce book-keeping and visual
>>> clutter in my opinion.
>>

>> Yes, exactly! :)
>

> And to think someone said I do not know anything about marketing?

An emailer just asked if my objective was to market Lisp or macros. The
answer is macros. The whole thread (even The Fat Five Hundred) has seen
Lispniks speaking up in defense of macros in the abstract. I cannot
speak for others, but my feeling is: it would be a shame for Pythonistas
to miss out on something good for the wrong reasons.

btw, regarding my use of the M word, marketing can be evil (witness Joe
Camel) but in the general case it is just about communicating
effectively by considering the listener.

btw^2, anything a Lispnik says that makes macros happen in Python is bad
for Lisp, because then there is one less (huge) reason to check out
Lisp. we need folks to help develop more libraries and Pythonistas are
good at that. (Lispniks just sit around and moan on NGs.) So...hmmm...

   MACROS SUCK!

:)

kenny

--