Python 2.3.2 RPM's for Redhat 8.0 or Python source RPM and upgrade procedure?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Oct 6 22:00:13 EDT 2003

    >> On my Mac I have four different versions of Python: /usr/bin/python
    >> comes from Apple.  /sw/bin/python comes from fink.
    >> /usr/local/bin/python and ~/local/bin/python are my doing.  I have no
    >> trouble with any of this for a simple reason: I have my path jiggered
    >> to see ~/local/bin before anything else, so I never run the versions
    >> Apple or fink installed, and I don't mess with their stuff.

    Cliff> IMO, the *best* solution would be for Redhat and other vendors to
    Cliff> keep a "system" version of Python separate for their own needs,
    Cliff> e.g /usr/bin/python-rh could link to their 2.2 install with all
    Cliff> of its modules.

I think this is one of those "slippery slopes".  Taken to its logical
conclusion, vendors would have to provide "system" versions of bash, Perl,
GCC, glibc, ... just to ensure that users could overwrite vendor-provided
tools.  The simpler solution is to allow users to install their own copies
of various tools in non-system directories (/usr/local, /sw, ~/local, ...).

While I appreciate Sean's efforts to provide Python RPMs, they are
definitely a two-edged sword which can cut the unwary.

Skip