Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Vis Mike visionary25 at _nospam_hotmail.com
Fri Oct 10 15:26:47 EDT 2003

<mike420 at ziplip.com> wrote in message
news:FTB2H3EKMGCKEAGFMAPUH4MJIBMHGNMOD5CLJSKP at ziplip.com...
> I think everyone who used Python will agree that its syntax is
> the best thing going for it. It is very readable and easy
> for everyone to learn. But, Python does not a have very good
> macro capabilities, unfortunately. I'd like to know if it may
> be possible to add a powerful macro system to Python, while
> keeping its amazing syntax, and if it could be possible to
> add Pythonistic syntax to Lisp or Scheme, while keeping all
> of the functionality and convenience. If the answer is yes,
> would many Python programmers switch to Lisp or Scheme if
> they were offered identation-based syntax?

What about an editor that simply hides outer parenthesis and displays them
as
tabs, for Scheme for example.  Then you could edit in any program, or use an
editor designed for it.  Kind of like editing raw HTML or using an HTML
editor.

I might just adapt this idea for my pet language which uses indentation for
blocks.  I like code to flow like an outline, with as few extraneous symbols
and junk as possible.

Mike