[OT] Inuit? Eskimo?

Geoff Gerrietts geoff at gerrietts.net
Wed Oct 22 23:11:01 EDT 2003

Quoting Peter Hansen (peter at engcorp.com):

> I guess I need that spelled out more clearly.  Are you saying
> unequivocally that there is not a *single* group of Inuit anywhere
> on the planet who have expressed a strong desire to be known as
> "Inuit" rather than as "Eskimos"?  If that's the case, my apologies,
> as I must have missed that part of your posts in my skimming.

No. He's saying that there are Eskimo, and there are Inuit. The two
have some overlap but not a lot.

Eskimo is not a pejorative. Calling a person who considers himself
Eskimo an Inuit would be like calling a German person French.
Sometimes you're going to get away with it, and sometimes you're going
to get a fight.

The same is true in reverse. Both terms are acceptable, when applied
to the right people.

--G.

--
Geoff Gerrietts        <geoff at gerrietts dot net>
"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments