Python versus VB

Cy Edmunds cedmunds at spamless.rochester.rr.com
Wed Oct 29 21:12:24 EST 2003

"Simon Foster" <simon at uggs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3fa057e2.14061399 at news.dsl.pipex.com...

> I am meeting with a potential client next week to
> discuss starting a new project.  His preference is for
> VB whereas I would prefer Python for obvious reasons ;-)
>
> Could anybody come up with a short list of the pros and
> cons of the two languages (I am not terribly familiar
> with the strengths/weaknesses of VB).  This will be a
> general-purpose text-processing type application with no
> GUI required.
>
> --
> Simon Foster
> Somewhere in the West of England

Visceral Basic is a very old fashioned language which doesn't hold a candle
to Python. Even Microsoft is soft peddling it. But I'm interested in why
your client prefers VB. If he is just going to run your code without looking
at the internals why does he care? If he is planning to maintain it himself
and doesn't know Python VB might actually be the right choice. For your sake
I hope not.

--
Cy
http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/