Python from Wise Guy's Viewpoint

Stephen J. Bevan stephen at dino.dnsalias.com
Wed Oct 29 21:52:45 EST 2003

Pascal Costanza <costanza at web.de> writes:
> These are both all or nothing solutions.
>
> + "all the tests for a particular feature in one place" - maybe that's
> not what I want (and you have ignored my arguments in this regard)
>
> and:
> + what if I want to run _some_ of the tests that my macro produces but
> not _all_ of them?
>

> Actually, that seems to be the typical reaction of static typing
> fans.

The solutions may be all or nothing but IMHO they are simple and I
like simple things.  I can't really say the same for scenarios which
involve running only some tests generated by macros that may or may
not be in the same files as other tests generated from the same
macros.  Perhaps it all comes down to different approaches to the
programming process rather than languages per se, e.g. I don't do
either of the above even when writing Common Lisp.