2.3 on Debian Woody: doable?

Mark Roach mrroach at okmaybe.com
Sat Oct 25 19:13:33 EDT 2003

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 17:18:26 +0200, Rene Pijlman wrote:

> There doesn't seem to be an apt package for Python 2.3 on Debian Woody.
>
> Should I expect unusual difficulties or unsolvable problems when building
> and installing 2.3 on Woody from the source distribution of Python?
>
> E.g. things like dependencies on other libraries that are not available on
> Woody?

The easiest way is probably going to be backporting the package from sid.
It is actually fairly easy to do, just add a line like

deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib

to your /etc/apt/sources.list and then "apt-get source python2.3" then
from the python2.3 directory run dpkg-buildpackage. If you are missing any
dependencies it will let you know. You can also run "apt-get build-dep
python2.3" to have apt try to automatically install the required packages.

If there are dependencies that woody can't meet, then you perform the same
steps for each of those packages as well.

-Mark