Why long integers

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Mon Oct 13 04:15:31 EDT 2003

Tim Peters wrote:
> [Joe Green]
> > I have been wondering why we have Long integers as a seperate type:
>
> Please see
>
>     http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0237.html

Why is it PEP 237 is not implemented using __future__?
There are several incompatible changes: x<<n, 0xffffffff, etc.
I am not a computer scientist so I do not understand why this
behaved like it did in the past (nor do I really care), but being
able to user a from __future__ import foo statement seems applicable
here. Why hasn't it been applied here?

regards,
Gerrit Holl.

--
280. If while in a foreign country a man buy a male or female slave
belonging to another of his own country; if when he return home the owner