[OT] Inuit? Eskimo?

Floyd Davidson floyd at barrow.com
Wed Oct 22 00:38:47 EDT 2003

Donn Cave <donn at u.washington.edu> wrote:

>Your understanding of Inuit agrees with mine - they might well
>prefer that term, but Yupik Eskimo people presumably wouldn't.

Even the Inupiat (who are technically Inuit) people in Alaska
don't care to be referred to as "Inuit".  They like Inupiat,
and they certainly don't mind being called "Eskimos".

>The only clear error is to confuse the Aleuts with Eskimos.
>
>   Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu

I've seen Japanese people walk up to Yup'ik people in the
Anchorage airport and start speaking Japanese to them...

And a lot of the tourist who come to Fairbanks think that every
Alaska Native person the see is an Eskimo, while in fact they
are looking at local Athabascan people.

--
Floyd L. Davidson           <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         floyd at barrow.com