<> and DeprecationWarning

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Tue Oct 21 11:15:43 EDT 2003

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> Skip Montanaro fed this fish to the penguins on Monday 20 October 2003
> 10:08 am:
> > Yes, but it's sort of like the Eskimos ("arctic native americans"?)
>
>         Though I feel comfortable with
>
>         x <> y
> (it's faster to type, among other things -- left-shift, rock the right
> hand over the ., keys -- vs right-shift, 1, move from right-shift to =)

The problem to me is that it does not feel logical for non numeric types.
For me, x <> y reads as "x < y or x > y", which is not the same thing.
I don't really like != either, since ! is quite arbitrary for "not", but
I guess it is the least bad solution.

yours,
Gerrit.

--
130. If a man violate the wife (betrothed or child-wife) of another
man, who has never known a man, and still lives in her father's house, and