distutils question-> Why data_files listed in setup.py being ignored?! How fix?

Christian Seberino seberino at spawar.navy.mil
Wed Oct 8 16:56:53 EDT 2003

David

I'm sorry but I'm still having problems.
I added an include line in MANIFEST.in
but still cannot get *any* data files included!!

I made a toy example to show my problem...

Here are my package files:
setup.py
MANIFEST.in
foo.py
somedata
Here is contents of setup.py:
from distutils.core import setup

setup(name = "foo",
      version = "1.0",
      data_files = [ ("data", ["somedata"]) ],
      packages = [""])
Here is MANIFEST.in:
include "somedata"
Here is what happens when I try to do "python setup.py sdist":
% python setup.py sdist
running sdist
...etc.
reading manifest template 'MANIFEST.in'
warning: no files found matching '"somedata"'
...etc.

I tried *absolute* paths in MANIFEST.in and data_files.
I tried to move data files to different places.  I tried using wild
cards.

NOTHING seems to make distutils SEE my data files?!?!?

Chris