[OT] Inuit? Eskimo?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Oct 23 06:49:41 EDT 2003

Floyd Davidson wrote:

> Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> >Floyd Davidson wrote:
> >>
> >> Like I said, it is mistaken to believe the term Eskimo is
> >> not pc,
> >
> >I guess I need that spelled out more clearly.  Are you saying
> >unequivocally that there is not a *single* group of Inuit anywhere
> >on the planet who have expressed a strong desire to be known as
> >"Inuit" rather than as "Eskimos"?  If that's the case, my apologies,
> >as I must have missed that part of your posts in my skimming.
>
> OK, so you don't understand what "pc" means.

In this newsgroup, it should surely mean personal computer. :-)

All I'm trying to clear up is whether you are saying that the
effectively institutionalized advice (in Canada) not to use the
term "Eskimo" for the Inuit is deprecated (to try to tie this
in a minor way back to the thread).

I don't care if other groups call themselves Eskimo.  All I
care about is whether we've been fed a load of crap for all
these years and should ignore any advice implying that the
Inuit do not like to be called Eskimo.

-Peter