php squirrelmail out of memory at ISP's webmail :-(

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Sat Oct 4 20:56:43 EDT 2003

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 01:16:29 +0200, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?= <gh at ghaering.de> wrote:

>Bengt Richter wrote:
>> [PHP *yuck*]
>> Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 42 bytes) in
>> /vhome/common/webmail/squirrelmail-1.4.1/functions/imap_general.php on line 735
>
>Entering the error message verbatim into Google would have helped ;-)
>
>The solution is to change the memory_limit parameter in the php.ini
>file. Of course you'll need admin privileges for this ;-)

Thanks. And, sorry, I should have mentioned (especially after ranting at someone about
not posting enough background info ) that I saw that advice ;-/

I was hoping to hear something about ongoing work on a fix (and I would say the need is
for a fix, not a workaround bandaid, because IMO a production-used tool should fail
more gracefully re space limits, and certainly not leave you with your existing
data inaccessible).

I am wondering whether to give up on current-style email as communication.
I wonder who is happy about the global email system being so trashed with spam etc.

Regards,
Bengt Richter