[Webware-discuss] Re: Webware vs. PHP - performance comparision!!!

Jarosław Zabiełło webmaster at apologetyka.com
Mon Oct 6 14:15:00 EDT 2003

On Monady 2003-10-05 at 17:15:00
Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:

>> if 0 < i < 100: ...
>
> This isn't proper Python, it's interpreted as (0 < i) < 100.

No, you are wrong. It is interpreted as (0 < i ) and (i < 100)

>>> i =-1
>>> if 0 < i < 10:
...     print 'ok'
... else:
...     print 'bad'
bad
>>> i = 12
>>> if 0 < i < 10:
...     print 'ok'
... else:
...     print 'bad'
bad

>>> i = 5
>>> if 0 < i < 10:
...     print 'ok'
... else:
...     print 'bad'
ok

> does it mirror 100 pages

Yes. It does.

>> Where can I find binary version?
> It comes with Apache.

Yes! I found it in bin directory. Thanx. It is much better tool than
wget.

>> > To test *Python's* speed vs. PHP, you'd have to use mod_python -- it's
>> > the only Python *environment* that is equivalent to PHP (well, PHP as
>> > CGI is like Python as CGI, but that's not a realistic test
>>
>> I am using mod_webkit.dll which is even faster than mod_python
>> acordint to manual:
>> http://webware.sourceforge.net/Webware-0.8.1/WebKit/Docs/InstallGuide.html#mod-python

> That's in the context of Webware.

Yes. I do not execute python scripts outside context of Webware
(I even could not make mod_python to work with Python 2.3.2)

> Webware's ModPythonAdapter doesn't actually run servlets in the
> Apache process, it just uses a mod_python handler to connect to the
> separate Webware process. mod_webkit does the same thing, only
> written in C.

Yes, and acording to webware manual mod_webkit works faster for
Webware than mod_python.

I found out, the real problem for my application is no pure
performance of Python language. It really works quite fast, but... it
oftem (for the same pages!) I have to wait even 10 or more seconds for
refresh the page. I do not know, what is wrong. It appears from time
to time. So I try to to solve this problem and I test different
approach.

--
JZ ICQ:6712522