newbie needs help with GUI

achrist at easystreet.com achrist at easystreet.com
Sat Oct 4 15:28:17 EDT 2003

ted wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just installed Python 2.3 from python.org and installed it on Win2000.
>
> When I double-click my gui script, a dos window appears behind the Tkinter
> gui.
>
> How do I stop the dos window from coming up when I launch the gui script?

Not a bug, it's a feature.  Really cool for debugging a gui app with
print statements.

I rename my *.py files to *.pyw if I'm done debugging and I want
the console to vanish.  You don't even have to remove the print
statements.  They won't crash the program even though there is no
console to print on.  The messages might go to a secret place, IDK.
I can imagine that when this computer reaches its final reward,
the recycler will smash some component deep in the guts of this
machine and all of that previously unseen print output will splill
out all over the floor.

Al