Python versus VB

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Thu Oct 30 03:47:11 EST 2003

Simon Foster wrote:

> I am meeting with a potential client next week to
> discuss starting a new project.  His preference is for
> VB whereas I would prefer Python for obvious reasons ;-)

You should just give him two fair offers for the project. One price for
the Visual basic version and one for the Python version.

That should show him why the VB version is a bad idea.

If you are in doubt as to the difference in time, because you don't know
VB well enough, you can just use the "General Python PI Approximation".

"Any piece of code written in Python, will take at minimum PI times
longer time to write in any other language."

So if the project will take 8 hours in Python, it will take at least:

8 * 3.1416 = 25,132 hours in VBScript.

But that is far to much precision, and will make the client grumpy if
you are even one hour late. So better round that off to the closest half
day and tell the client that it will take approximately 3 1/2 day.

Then the extra 1/2 day you will be using debugging the othervise working
programme on the clients system will not seem like such a big delay.

;-)

regards Max M