use make and version control system for every project?

Jorge Godoy godoy at metalab.unc.edu
Mon Oct 6 07:43:34 EDT 2003

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:

> I _strongly_ recommend learning to use CVS, or *any equally simple
> version control system*, even for personal projects, so that it becomes
> second nature early on and you never find yourself without it.

I second that.

CVS also solves problems of identifying what is the little thing that
you changed and made your program stop running the way it should.

It also makes it easier to backup projects: you only need to backup
the CVS repository on the server.

Planning and integrating programs also is easier (no matter if the
language supports a centralized installation such as Python and Perl
do or not).

With regards to make, I believe that distutils would be its
equivalent in pythonia. It is somewhat unintuitive in some things, but
is a good tool. And helps generating an installable 'package' with
your code, making it easier to share it.

--
Godoy.     <godoy at metalab.unc.edu>