use make and version control system for every project?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Oct 6 15:11:06 EDT 2003

"John J. Lee" wrote:

> Jorge Godoy <godoy at metalab.unc.edu> writes:
>
> > Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:
> [...]
> > CVS also solves problems of identifying what is the little thing
> > that
> > you changed and made your program stop running the way it should.
>
> So does diff.

Sure.  But source control (CVS or not; for personal use I use Perforce)
makes this process streamlined and automatic.  Without it, if you want
incremental diffs you have to remember to make a copy of each revision
of each file you edit, naming them meaningfully for future.  Source
control gets you this automatically, as well as allowing you to do
things like conveniently create branches, merge them back in to the main
line, etc.

/  \ Tell me the truth / I'll take it like a man
\__/  Chante Moore