use make and version control system for every project?

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Mon Oct 6 05:01:46 EDT 2003

Carl Banks wrote:

>>A change history is vital on a fast-changing project; you can see when a
>>particular feature went in, when a bug was fixed, when a structural
>>change was made, etc.
>
> Why is that important?  How often do you really need to know when a
> bug was fixed, for example?  (I'm serious.  I've never needed to know
> these things.  Do other people really use these features for personal
> projects?  And if they do, is it really that often?)

There is a difference in personal projects, and projetcs done by an
individual. If you just write something for your own use it might not
matter much.

But if you write something for customers, or something that other people
use, it is a good idea to be able to tell the customer what changes are
made in the latest version they have received.

It can also be an advantage when billing.

regards Max M