Python 2.3.2 RPM's for Redhat 8.0 or Python source RPM and upgrade procedure?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Oct 3 15:15:41 EDT 2003

    >> No, the installation will go to (I think) /usr/local/lib/python2.3 or
    >> /usr/lib/python2.3.  The site-packages directory will thus remain the
    >> same.

    Scott> Just an FYI, RedHat probably has things rather customized here.
    Scott> The original Python install put the site-packages directory in
    Scott> /usr/lib/python2.2/. I expect the upgraded RPM installs to follow
    Scott> suit but I don't know if Sean Reifschneider's RPM's do or not.

My mistake.  I thought you wanted to upgrade from 2.3.

    Scott> Could I move the site-packages directory manually?

The result probably won't be pleasant if it contains any extension modules.
Also, Red Hat has a lot of their own stuff which may not have been tested on
2.3 yet.  This might be your biggest barrier.  At the very least you should
probably leave 2.2 in place and leave /usr/bin/python as a link to
/usr/bin/python2.2 until you've had a chance to test some of their more
important system administration apps with 2.3 (like up2date).

    Scott> Does the entire site-packages contents need to be rebuilt (or
    Scott> reinstalled) with the new Python or will it automatically do so
    Scott> (I mean the .pyc files).  Do I need to manually remove all the
    Scott> byte-compiled files?

At the very least I suggest you delete any .pyc or .pyo files.  You can then
just execute the Lib/compileall.py script to recompile everything.

Skip