Win2k and mingw gnu compiler with Python 2.3.2?

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Fri Oct 24 05:09:51 EDT 2003

On Fri, 23 Oct 2003 dbrown2 at yahoo.com wrote:

> Still no luck.  When I run "build" I do use the compiler flag as
> shown:
>
> C:>python setup.py build --compiler=mingw32
> C:>running build
> C:>running build_py
> C:>running build_ext
> C:>
>
> This seems to work fine.  The "install" command will not accept a
> compiler option.   Thanks for the suggestion though.
>
> The error
>      "Python was built with version 6 of Visual Studio, and extensions
>      need to be built with the same version of the compiler, but it
>      isn't installed."
>
> appears to be a windows issue related to the compiler used to build
> the binary installer version.  I could not find mention at python.org
> of who actually produces the windows installer and also couldn't find
> a credit in the installer itself.  Could someone point me to an
> appropriate contact or email to report this?  It doesn't appear to be
> a python language issue.

I'm sure that this has come up on the Distutils-SIG mailing list, and ISTR
someone came up with a workaround.  I suggest a scan of the list archives.

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  (pref) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au             (alt) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/               |        Australia