Eureka! (Re: Comments on Python Redesign)

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Sep 9 00:07:30 CEST 2003

Peter Hansen wrote:

> * You can't tell ahead of time what site you are going to be
>   redirected to.
>   As a result, you lose complete freedom to choose whether or not you
>   should
>   follow the link.  (Note for the imprecise: I didn't say you
>   completely lose
>   freedom, I said you lose complete freedom.)

But you can't tell that any URL, even a long one that looks meaningful,
won't redirect you someplace you don't want to go.  Even if it's what
you expected, there could be something on the page which potentially
does something malicious, like a Java bomb.

It all comes down to trusting the person who's posting the URL, and that
doesn't change whether it's a tinyurl.com URL being posted or something
else.  (Not that I'm a particular fan of using tinyurl.com, but this
seems like a strange thing to complain about.)

/  \ The people are to be taken in very small doses.
\__/  Ralph Waldo Emerson