Bottleneck? More efficient regular expression?

David Eppstein eppstein at
Tue Sep 23 19:01:16 CEST 2003

In article <3f7069db_4 at>,
 "Tina Li" <tina_li23 AT hotmail DOT com> wrote:

> I've been struggling with a regular expression for parsing XML files,
> which keeps giving the run time error "maximum recursion limit
> exceeded".

Why not use a real XML parser?  xml.parsers.expat is easy enough to use,
doesn't have problems with recursion limits, and will continue working
when someone generates a valid XML file in a slightly different version
than the one you expect.

David Eppstein