object.attribute vs. object.getAttribute()

Sean Ross sross at connectmail.carleton.ca
Tue Sep 16 17:21:54 CEST 2003

"Roy Smith" <roy at panix.com> wrote in message
news:roy-81B3E5.20291015092003 at reader2.panix.com...
> 1) More typing (which implies more reading, which I think reduces the
> readability of the finished product).
> 2) Need to write (and test) all those silly little functions.

If you only intend to create simple properties[*], then the following recipe
may address issues 1) and 2) (except for the testing part):

If you're going to create more complex properties, you may find this
recipe(idiom) of interest:

Hope that's useful,

[*]  By "simple properties", I mean something like the following:

''' assume we're inside a class definition
   and self.__foo has been initialized.
        def get_foo(self):
                return self.__foo
        def set_foo(self, value):
                self.__foo = value
        def del_foo(self):
                del self.__foo
        foo = property(fget=get_foo, fset=set_foo, fdel=del_foo, doc="foo")