Meta programming question

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Sep 28 02:29:06 EDT 2003

"Bruce Dickey" <ceiesa at excite.com> wrote in message
news:vnce64dgqj047c at corp.supernews.com...
> I've read a number of the meta progamming articles. I have not found
> what I am looking for. I want to override assignments to variables
which
> are in the module namespace (not object members -- no classes
involved).
> Can this be done?

Yes -- by rewriting the appropriate section of the source code.  Since
it is clearly written, open source, and freely recompilable, this is
doable by a competant and motivated C programmer.  But given how
intertwined current assignment semantics are with the rest of the
language, I have trouble imaging an alternative that would make sense.

Terry J. Reedy