OT: best book in years

Michael Peuser mpeuser at web.de
Sat Sep 6 04:51:19 EDT 2003

"John J. Lee" <jjl at pobox.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:87k78mlrp3.fsf at pobox.com...
> "Michael Peuser" <mpeuser at web.de> writes:
>
> > "Juha Autero" <Juha.Autero at iki.fi>
> > >
> > > Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid. It may not be the best
> > > book I read and not very useful, but I'd recomend reading it anyway.
> > >

> > I made the same recommendation some minutes ago, but without your
> > reservation. In fact I might even come to the conclusion it *is* the
best
> > book I have read ;-)
> >
> > Why do you think it is not very useful? What do you think of Shakespeare
by
> > the way?
>
> [not directed at me, but I'll answer anyway...]
>
> Well, it dazzles you with all sorts of fascinating stuff, and succeeds
> at being something wonderful purely in its own right, but it fails to
> actually solve any problems.  Of course, nobody can really tell him
> off for that, since his subject matter revolves around what appears to
> be the biggest unsolved mystery in human knowledge.

Absolutly true. But I have the feeling that whenever anyone will explain the
reason ofor everything to us in 1000 years it will be absolutly useless as
well.

In fact I had the vision of some multimedia event, laying in a hospital bed,
connected to artificial nutrition, wearing  headphones, listening to Bach's
music and reading Hofstadter. Excuse me for being such hillarious.

Kindly
Michael P