Comment on PEP-0322: Reverse Iteration Methods

Alex Martelli aleax at
Fri Sep 26 21:44:36 CEST 2003

David Abrahams wrote:

> Alex Martelli <aleax at> writes:
>> David Abrahams wrote:
>>> Also, the idea of denying tuples the ability to reverse iterate seems
>>> arbitrary and capricious.
>> Sure, but so is denying them, e.g., non-mutating methods such as
>> .index() and .count().
> Not IMO. Immutability is a very useful trait.

Sure, very useful indeed -- and why does YO suggest that add such
NON-mutating methods would damage immutability in the LEAST...?

>> At least we're _consistently_ arbitrary and capricious!-)
> Not in this case.

Some amplification would be welcome, because the above comment
on immutability's usefulness is totally obscure to me in context.