Pickling/unpickling extensions types

Bob tenorman3 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 21:36:21 EDT 2003

I've read over section 3.14.5.2 of the doc about a
zillion times, and it still makes absolutely no sense
to me.  Can someone please explain it?

What I'd like to do is, basically, have the object be
pickled as None, since it represents an object in the
C world, and it doesn't make sense to pickle it at
all.  How can I do that, if at all?

In particular, what does this

"A callable object, which in the unpickling
environment must be either a class, a callable
registered as a ``safe constructor'' (see below), or
it must have an attribute __safe_for_unpickling__ with
a true value. Otherwise, an UnpicklingError will be
raised in the unpickling environment. Note that as
usual, the callable itself is pickled by name"

mean?