htmllib.py and parsing malformed HTML

KC nskhcarlso at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 2 08:15:03 EDT 2003

Thomas Güttler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You could use tidy (http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/) before you
> parse the html.

I appreciate the suggestion but unfortunately this will not work well
for me as the parser runs as part of a cron job.  I wouldn't be able to
review the tidy error log in a timely fashion if there was a problem.

What would be really nice is a way to tell the parser it was "inside" a
<TR> when I encountered a <TD> after a closing </TR>.  Browsers still
display the HTML correctly without a starting <TR>, but if the closing
</TR> is omitted everything gets mangled.

Any other suggestions?