getting a value from a web-page

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Thu Sep 25 08:19:51 EDT 2003

Gerrit Holl wrote:

> Mark Carter wrote:
>> > And a value from an excel located in a web-server? (Sheet1!cell A1)
>>
>> Do you mean an excel file located on your server, or somebody else's
>> server? If it is on your server, you could manipulate the file
>> directly using Mark Hammond's excellent win32all:
>> http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/
>
> Is it possible to do so without Windows?

No, win32all only runs on Windows (perhaps it might be ported to
WINE or something, but I know of nothing like that ever being done).
Microsoft Excel can run just fine on Linux thanks to "Crossover
Office" (or, presumably, other versions of Wine, too), but I do
not know how to "programmatically" drive it from Python under
such environments.

One possibility might be to use OpenOffice 1.1 (which is able to
open and read XLS files, and can in turn be driven by Python with
the new "Python-UNO bridge" included in OO release 1.1) -- but I
have, as yet, no practical experience doing that.

Alex