Flash Remoting in Python?

Jordan Krushen jordan at krushen.com
Thu Sep 11 22:16:46 EDT 2003

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 01:01:41 GMT, Dave Benjamin <dave at 3dex.com> wrote:

> I will note, however, that Flash's XML parser is slow, and WDDX is more
> compact than XML-RPC (although it isn't, in itself, an RPC protocol,
> unlike XML-RPC).

God, is it ever slow.  I'm working on a remote playlist editor (Flash
talking to Python XML-RPC), and when sending a list of ~1000 entities
across the wire, performance was increased nearly a hundred times simply
by sending one delimited string element instead of 1000 XML elements.  Of
course, XML adds quite a bit of bloat, but all the time was consumed in
CPU, not on the wire.

On that note, I've been working on a rewrite of Pedro's ActionScript
XML-RPC library, doing automatic marshalling/unmarshalling, shortening
calls to the following:

rpc = new rpc('http://host/path/')
rpc.send(callbackFunc, 'method', arg1, arg2, arg3...)

instead of the rather verbose and repetitive arg/result formatting which I
found in the original library.

Contact me if you'd like to test it out -- I haven't performed any
regression testing on it yet, but I'm happily using it to pass arrays,
ints, dicts, and strings back and forth.

J.