Eureka!

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Mon Sep 8 17:31:52 EDT 2003

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote previously:
|* You can't tell ahead of time what site you are going to be redirected to.
|  As a result, you lose complete freedom to choose whether or not you should
|  follow the link.

As Dave Brueck noted, the same is true of ANY URL.  I use a few
redirects on my own website, so just because you think you are going to
a gnosis.cx address doesn't mean you'll wind up there.  In an innocuous
case, the URL <http://gnosis.cx/TpiP/> redirects you to my actual book
page (which differs in capitalization)--this just addresses a typo AW
made on my jacket.  Even so, the page you wind up seeing has a different
URL that what you copy to your browser.  A slightly greater change is
with <http://gnosis.cx/voting-project/>, which directs you to an
entirely different host (for now, I might more it to the same host
later).  While there's no malice here, readers had no idea they would
wind up on gnosis.python-hosting.com.

If I wanted to be REALLY malicious, I could post a link like:

    http://gnosis.cx/python/

:-).

Yours, David...

--
 mertz@  _/_/_/_/ THIS MESSAGE WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY: \_\_\_\_    n o
gnosis  _/_/             Postmodern Enterprises            \_\_