I need to make Excel/Powerpoint-style charts... oops

Raaijmakers, Vincent (IndSys, GE Interlogix) Vincent.Raaijmakers at ge.com
Mon Sep 15 09:17:05 EDT 2003

Sorry,

just see that you already looked at reportlab.
Sorry, it is Monday morning here...

Vincent

-----Original Message-----
From: python at sarcastic-horse.com [mailto:python at sarcastic-horse.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 11:19 AM
To: python-list at python.org
Subject: I need to make Excel/Powerpoint-style charts.

Hi-

My office produces a lot of charts based on time-series data.  We use MS
powerpoint and excel to make these charts.  The data gets updated
regularly, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to automate updating
the charts using these packages.  So, we spend a non-trivial amount of
time manually updating lots of spreadsheets to redraw the charts we need.

I hope to find some sort of python graphics library that can make charts
similar to Excel and Powerpoint, and then I can start automating these
tasks.

Here is an example of the charts we make:

http://www.sarcastic-horse.com/example.pdf #52k size file.

Are there any packages that can do similar charts?  I need to be able to
chart time-series data with occasional missing observations.  I also need
to be able to shade some regions of the charts, and add text titles,
captions and notes.

I'm (slowly) learning the reportlab package, and it looks good, but I
wanted to check if there was an even better solution out there.

Thanks for the help.