in Ram database?

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Fri Sep 5 10:25:18 EDT 2003

"John D." <lists at webcrunchers.com> writes:
[...]
> Is such a database available?   If so,  who is working on it,
> or where is it?

Gadfly, PySQLite.

> I've heard that Python supports a stand-alone database.   I looked
> for it in the Docs,  and see the "dbm" module.   I haven't found
> any examples of code,  so don't know how to use them.   I'm one
> of those guys that learn through examples,  and have very little
> luck in figuring out how to use anything unless I can see examples
> of their use.

These sorts of dbs aren't in-memory.  Still, if you want to find some
simple examples, I'm sure a few queries like 'group:comp.lang.python
bsddb example' in Google Groups will find something.

> My idea is that ALL datums would be Python Dictionary objects,  so
> not only can you store data,  but python objects as well.

Sounds like you might want ZODB (again, not in-memory).  It's more of
an object persistence system + BTrees than it is a DBMS, since there's
no query system.  IndexedCatalog is a query system built on top of
ZODB, but it's quite feasible to roll your own simple
application-specific queries with BTrees (and the other data
structures it provides).  BTrees are rather like dictionaries, but
they support on-demand loading of data, so not everything has to be in
memory at once.

> I kinda like the idea of being able to define smaller tables as
> "in-memory" types,  and the really large massive ones in other forms
> managed by mySQL, PostGres, or bsddb3 databases.

That sounds like a recipe for extra work to me.  If you need a big
DBMS, use that for everything.

John