Hurricane Isabel

Christopher Blunck blunck at gst.com
Wed Sep 17 00:33:21 EDT 2003

This is shameless self promotion, so please discard it if you're
offended.  But if you're a geek maybe you'll read on . . .

My family owns a house on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  On top
of our house is a Davis Vantage Pro weather station.  I have a daemon
running every minute capturing weather data into a MySQL database.
The data is exported to the world via a SOAP interface.

I'm posting this because Hurricane Isabel is expected to make landfall
within a day or two, and I thought there might be folks out there
that would be interested in taking a look at up-to-the-minute weather
conditions (well, at least until the power fails :))

The URL for my project page is:
  http://meta-tools.sf.net/wxnet

There are installation instructions and screenshots available.

It should be noted that the client I've written can also display
buoy data from the National Weather Service.  If you look cruise over
to http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/ you'll find the buoys current served.

When launching the WeatherNet client, use a URL of the format:
  http://wxnet.dnsalias.com/buoys/number/number.wsdl

For example, to look at buoy 41002 (250 NM east of Charleston SC), use:
  http://wxnet.dnsalias.com/buoys/41002/41002.wsdl

It should be noted that this code is based off of ZSI and wouldn't be
possible without Rich's code.  Thanks Rich! :)

-c