Python Documentation?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Mon Sep 1 08:08:54 EDT 2003

In article <Xns93E975FCE1E58godlarz at 62.243.74.162>,
Larz  <lp at your-pants-coder.dk> wrote:
			.
			.
			.
>Dan and I are long time php programmers. One thing that is superb about
>php, is it's online documentation that everyone in the community can
>contribute to (not the actual documentation, just comments with
>examples).
>
>Every since I first started using python, I've truly missed a
>documentation source similar to that of PHP's. So Dan and I have started
>our little project to make a documentation site in the spirit of that
>documentation.
			.
			.
			.
PHP's documentation has indeed been a great success as a
collaborative adventure.

Python already has a structure--and much content!--for
comparable collaboration in <URL: http://
www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/ >.  Moreover, as several
follow-ups have explained, Python developers have differ-
ent work practices than PHPers, and a different relation
to documentation.  In particular, it's hard to overempha-
size how much working Python programmers depend on
interactive introspection:  use of the interpreter's
built-in help, pydoc, and related facilities to discover
and confirm details that, in PHPonia, are regarded as
matters for online documentation.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net