Why python???

Johann Hibschman jhibschman at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 6 23:00:34 EDT 2003

yeung_too wrote:

>     I think many people spend time on Java and university uses
>     Java because Sun Microsystem spends much money to promote and
>     develop the Java language.

Actually, in my experience, students will complain endlessly if they
have to use a language that they don't think will immediately get them a
job.  So, usage of C, C++, and Java is probably student-driven, not
faculty-driven.

I was a grad student at UC Berkeley for years, and I remember horror
stories from the CS grad students about undergrads bitching endlessly
about having to use Scheme, because "no one uses Scheme in the real world."

Personally, I think this reveals that people are thinking of university
more as a trade school, at least in CS, rather than a "mind-broadening"
education.  The humanities people never worry that Chaucer isn't used in
"the real world."

I mean, people major in "computer science" not "computer programming."
Computer science is, well, complexity, algorithms, design interactions,
and so on; things independent of brute coding.

This doesn't really help you, but I am guessing that it's your fellow
students who demand Java.

Cheers,

-Johann