distutils on win32 with link.exe -- use dlls?

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 16 13:50:16 EDT 2003

I am using distutils to build a python extension module on win32.  I
initialize the Extension class with a list of libraries with

        Extension("_gd", ["_gdmodule.c"],
            include_dirs=incdirs, library_dirs=libdirs,
            libraries=libs, define_macros=macros)],

and am using VC6++ where libs is a list ['gd', 'png', ...].  Distutils
produces a link command with the required libraries as

  link.exe blahblah gd.lib png.lib jpeg.lib blahblah

However, I have DLL versions of these libraries in my library path,
ie, libgd.dll, libjpeg.dll, etc...

Is there a macro or compile flag or other setting to inform distutils
to look for the DLLS of the required libraries rather than the *.lib
files?

Thanks,
John Hunter