Comment on PEP-0322: Reverse Iteration Methods

Sean Ross sross at connectmail.carleton.ca
Fri Sep 26 14:42:28 EDT 2003

"David Eppstein" <eppstein at ics.uci.edu> wrote in message
news:eppstein-AF4213.10592426092003 at news.service.uci.edu...
> Your proposed name has an implication for the semantics.

Do the implied semantics of ireverse() differ from those implied by the
names iter_backwards(), reverse_view(), riter(), etc.?
Because, to me, they' re just different words for the same idea.

> I was questioning the feasibility of the implied semantics.

Fine. Take it up with the person who proposed the idea.

> I don't think you're let off the hook by the excuse that "it's only a
name".

I'm let off the "hook" because I was never on it. The responsibility for
answering your questions re: the feasability of this enterprise do not fall
to me, but to the proponent of the enterprise. It's like someone said they
where going to build a bridge from the mainland to Hawaii, and that they
would paint it green. And I said, "What about painting it red?" And you
asked me, "And how to you propose to build this bridge?". My answer is, "Uh,
why don't you ask the fellow over there who brought up the thing in the
first place. I'm just talking paint colours over here." I think your
questions are mis-directed. And, even if they are not, I don't have your
answers, I'm not going to try to come up with them, and I feel no
responsibility to do so.