What's the best MP3 (ID3) access library to use?

Paul Moore paul.moore at atosorigin.com
Mon Sep 29 07:49:03 EDT 2003

I'm looking for a Python library to access ID3 information in MP3
files. A search of Parnassus picked up a number of possibilities, but
I can't work out which best suits what I'm trying to do. Some seem out
of date, others are Unix only, etc. There doesn't seem to be an
obvious "standard" module to use.

Basically, I want to write some scripts to "tidy up" a collection of
MP3 files, reporting oddities in information, rationalising details,
etc. So I believe that my requirements are:

- Works on Windows
- Allows easy access to title, artist, album info
- Allows updates

I don't know much about the technical details of MP3/ID3 formats, the
objective is basically to automate a slog through a large number of
files with an editor program.

An example of the sort of thing I want to do - I've got some files
with Artist = "Various" and Title = "Real Artist - Track Name" (from
compilation albums) and I'd like to change that to Artist = "Real
Artist", Title = "Track Name".

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Paul.